[X4U] Ethernet hub recommendations?

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 13 13:11:55 PST 2005

At 15:07 -0600 13/3/05, Anne-Marie Concepcion wrote:
>At 12:53 PM -0500 3/13/05, Stan Gould wrote:
>>I bought the Netgear WGT624 Wireless Firewall Router (sold at
>>Compuserve and other retail outlets). Its wireless, but also has
>>four ports for a wired network. (If you go wired only, you can
>>disable the wireless).
>
>I have an Airport Express (the little dongle base station thingie)
>currently plugged into one of the Ethernet ports of my MIH-120. Are
>you saying that with the WGT624 I wouldn't need the Airport Express?
>
>If so, will my Airport and Airport Extreme cards in my powerbooks be
>able to use the wireless connection from the NetGear? (I assume I
>wouldn't be using the Airport Admin Utility to access its settings,
>is that correct?)
>
>thx
>AM

Anne-Marie,

The WGT624 does provide a wireless link. So you could use your
Airport Express to:

1. Extend the range of your AirPort network (outside yard perhaps), or

2. Run iTunes through your stereo, or

3. Connect to a suitable printer wirelessly.

Yes the AirPort and AirPort Extreme cards will work with the Netgear.
You access the Netgear's setting via a URL and configure it via a web
interface.

Assuming you keep it in service, you would still use the AirPort
Admin Utility to access the AirPort Express though (update firmware,
set WEP / WAP etc.).
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

I hope we shall...crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed
corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a
trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.