[X4U] Re: Defragmentation, was Cause of kernel panics

Keith Whaley keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 19 07:45:30 PST 2005

Tom Miller wrote:

> On 3/19/05, at 5:07 AM, Keith Whaley, <keith_w at dslextreme.com> said:
>

>>Eventually, if nothing changes in  how you
>>operate your particular setup, the larger storage space will eventually
>>become - comparatively speaking - as filled up with a jumble of
>>fragments of files and such as the smaller drive was. Just takes longer. No?

> No, the 160 gig HD of my current Mac won't come close to getting full
> before I replace it in several years with one that has a one terabyte (?) HD.
>
> Tom Miller

I understand.
The fragmentation of files situation doesn't go away, it ceases to exist
in the form of "a problem," because it never causes any performance hit.
Good way to look at it, if that's strictly true.
In other words, if it's not causing a deterioration of performance, it
can be ignored and doesn't need to be "fixed."

keith whaley