[X4U] OT: accessing old floppy disks

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Mar 23 08:20:11 PST 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Jim Freeman wrote:

> A collegue of my wife needs to get at some important documents that
> are on Macintosh formatted double density floppy disks. He says all
> the disk drives he has tried only support high density disks.
>
> Any suggestions?

What kind of drives has he tried? I thought all the high density drives
that are built into Macs could also read/write the double density
disks. The floppy drive on my old beige G3 reads/writes both, and I
think that was about the last Mac that came with a floppy drive built
in.

The biggest problem I have is that the floppy drives in the old Macs
get used so infrequently that they get dirty and don't want to work. Of
course the fact that both the drives and the disks are getting on in
years doesn't help reliability either (many of my floppies are becoming
unreadable).

-Mike