[X4U] See / Don't see

John Richardson richards at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Mar 24 09:41:30 PST 2005

Hello,

Does anyone know the exact technical reason for firewire problems that have
been happening for the last year or two?

Even better, does anyone know why Apple has not been able to fix this.

NOTE: Answering that it is a vendors fault is like putting the blame on
NVIDIA and ATI for the lack of workstation class cards.

I won't go near a firewire drive with a 10 foot pole. By the way, the drive
in the firewire case is an IDE drive so it only cranks out data at IDE
speeds. So, what is the purpose of a consumer firewire hard drive? Note that
I said hard drive, not inquired about the purpose of firewire ports for
video, audio and possibly professional SAN / RAID / WHATEVER disk solutions.

I also do backups in general and even more voraciously on my legacy Firewire
drives.

John F. Richardson