[X4U] iTunes Limits ???

John Lyon jelyon at mac.com
Mon Mar 28 17:58:16 PST 2005

Ripping them at iTunes defaults for ACC, which to my ears yields files that
are quite listenable, should get that down to 40-60MB per CD. I don¹t know
what iTunes upper limits are, but I know there are limits based on the
processor of the machine you¹re going to have hosting the files. My G3
Wallstreet performs less peppily than my G4 TiBook 550. Hard drive space is
also an issue, but you¹ll probably want to get some sort of raid array to
hold all the music. Otherwise, you¹ve got to figure out how you¹re going to
back all the files up in case of a drive failure. Do you really want to
re-rip 21000 discs?

In fact, your biggest challenge will be getting them ripped in the first
place. I employed an off again, on again schedule, and it took me a few
years to get around 1000 CDs ripped.

On 3/28/05 7:47 PM, "Bob Salsburg" <info.res at earthlink.net> either wrote,
forwarded or quoted:

> Richard Nagle AKA "cms01 at tampabay.rr.com" on 3/28/05 8:35 PM:
>
>> Just purchase a lot of Music Cd's 21,000 from a store going under,
>> wondering, if iTunes, would be able to handle me ripping that many CD's ???
>>
>> Does anyone know how much music iTunes can handle??
>>
>> TKS -
>> Rick
>
> Rick:
>
> Itunes should be just fine with the ripping since it does one at a time. Now,
> your hard drive might suffer if you don¹t have enough storage to receive the
> ripped tracks. In advance figure, say, 80-100 mb per CD if you rip the entire
> album¹s tracks.
>
> Bob

JEL