[X4U] iPod as HD

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 29 12:14:14 PST 2005

At 16:44 +0200 29/3/05, Paul Moortgat wrote:
>Has anyone used an iPod as HD?  How fast is it when transferring?
>
>Paul Moortgat

Paul,

I can't give you an RPM figure but it was comparable to my other
FireWire 400 drives.

I have a 40Gb iPod that I boot client's machines off all the time and
use for data transfer.

It has 9.2.2 and 10.3.8 on it. Both of these were installed using the
install CD's (not CCC or SuperDuper or whatever).

I use it as a known good boot volume for trouble shooting (it has
TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, Disk Utility, etc installed) not to "run"
the machine and it doesn't run for a prolonged period.

I've found the iPod great for this and recording notes about a visit
and storing photos and Mactracker as well as "just" playing music.

--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198
Skype / AIM / iChat: gibsonm1

37% of Americans agree that while they would hate being British, they
wouldn't mind having a British accent.