[X4U] Re: broken pipe?+

Cornett cornett at gol.com
Wed Mar 30 22:55:55 PST 2005

Richard, et All Listas
G'day!
Many Thanx to Richard for your input, but am still in need
of a few more answers, ... below mixed in... plus...

x4u-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com wrote:
> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:00:27 +0900
> From: Cornett
> Subject: [X4U] broken pipe?+
snip
> I'm new to OSX and am hoping for some insight into a weird
> warning that popped up following an unstuff of an installer
> for NSv7.2 and then my double clicking of the resulting .dmg
> file for attempt at install onto OSX.3 on my Bondi iMac. This
> is repeatable, even with another DL and copy over BWO Toast
> Files & Folders CD-R disk burned on my other Net connected
> PowerMac.
I'm still trying to get past this "Broken Pipe" warning dialogue
box, but the 17Mb+ installer seems to decompress fine to the
.dmg installer(strangely now unpacked at 53Mb in size), yet it
refuses to mount w/ only the "broken pipe" db in my face.
-fyi- this iMac isn't connected to anything other than power
yet.
snip
> Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:57:54 -0500
> From: Richard Gilmore
>
> I don't know about the warning but you can move your OS9 Netscape
> bookmarks/mail etc...to the OSX Netscape/Mozilla or Firefox for that matter.
> All you have to do is copy the folder inside your Mozilla default profile
> folder on OS9 to same one in OSX the default profile folder doesn't have
> your name on it but just an alphanumeric series of characters like the one
> of the end of this example. You'll have to create a default profile in the
> OSX Netscape first then replace that profile folder with the one from OS9
> and restart the browser. For what it's worth I would recommend
> Mozilla/Firefox over Netscape, it's the same basic browser only far more
> developed than Netscape and you should be able to import all your OS9
> Netscape stuff there no problem.
I've got Safari v1.1, Firefox v1.0(w/ v 1.0.2 waiting to install), Mozilla
v1.7.5
all loaded. And still the new iCab left to find, download and install, but
I'd
like to have a full compliment of browsers on hand to use at will for
those
tricky sites that prefer one over another to keep all the bases covered,
so to
speak/type. And would anyone have a point to URL for the download of an
off-line full installer of the newest version 1.2 of Safari??, as it seems
that
Apple has it now all locked up into it's Software Update oNly.
> Home Folder/Library/Mozilla/Profiles/Default/ rfyiqe7s.slt
Will the exact "alphanumeric series of characters" be needed on the name
to replace the "default profile"(whatever it's named)?
> As for the hard drive I would recommend putting in the biggest one you can
> afford unless you've got another machine you'd like to put it in.
Ok gotcha, then it's the new 120Gb that will go in there, and can someone
suggest a good partitioning/formatting scheme for me?, and will I need to
accomplish a less < than 8Gb 1st. partition for install of boot Systems?
Also, need I install OSX.2 and the X.2.8 combo, followed by the upgrade
installer to OSX.3, and lastly install OS9.2x, or visa versa?, or what is
suggested?
-fyi- I don't have the full installer of OSX.3, only the upgrade CD, and
I will need OS9 to be fully bootable.

TIA once again for all your Guru help, advice, and suggestions.

Respectful of GURUs
Bill Cornett
cornettATgolDOTcom
- setup = Bondi TL iMac/300Mhz/MaxRAM/OSX.3 -
"One thing I've learned is don't be afraid of death but be afraid
 of the unlived life."-Angus Tuck

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important
 that you do it."-Ghandi

 "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to
  speak and remove all doubt."-A. Lincoln

/