Re: [X4U] Importing into Entourage X from MBOX–format files

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Mar 31 06:33:26 PST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 9:40 am, Jorge Domingos wrote:

> I want to import some email I have in my work PC, into an MBOX-format
> file, and then into Entourage X on my home iBook. I want to do this
> with regularity. My problem is, which email application should I use
> on my work PC that can create MBOX-format files?

A Google returns so many results it's not funny -
<http://www.google.com/search?q=outlook+to+mbox> - however many of them
seem to be proprietary or unmaintained.

I think the problem is probably that this is a task most people only
ever undertake once and so - especially since MS's binary file-formats
are a bleeding nightmare - it's not very interesting for F/OSS authors
to keep up with.

I'm sure I used <http://mbx2mbox.sourceforge.net/> some years ago, but
its author reports newer formats may not be supported. I like the look
of ,http://alioth.debian.org/projects/libpst/>, but there seem to be no
updates to the site since it was opened in November last year; it's
available in source code only, which I'd normally consider a good
thing, nut it may not compile as cleanly on OS X as on Linux.

I think I'd be inclined to try
<http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.html> - I'd feel quite
optimistic about it, as it looks up to date & its referenced by this
article <http://www.pcquest.com/content/linux/2004/104102905.asp>. Be
careful, and inspect the imported messages in OS X carefully the first
few times, to ensure that no data has been lost.

Stroller.