[X4U] iChat AV...buddies won't display

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Tue Nov 1 18:48:29 PST 2005

Finally figured it out:  somehow the Accounts-->Security-->Allow
specific people radio button got checked.  Apparently, if you only
"allow" specific people to message  you, then anyone not on the list
disappears from the buddy list.  AOL's preference must override this
when you're logged in with both iChat AV AND AOL.

What's really weird is that I know I never changed that setting...and
it ended up on both my iBook and my iMac.  I'm sure it's a .Mac/iDisk
sync thing going on.

I simply switched back to "Privacy Level:  Allow anyone" and
everything's working great :-)

I use AOL primarily from entropy:  I've had the same email address
for 13 years, and still get emails from people I've lost touch with
over the years.  I do occasionally use the dialup feature when
travelling, but have connected to AOL via TCP/IP since at least 1994.

Michael