[X4U] Help.. login fails after showing spotlight icon

Kansas Territory kansast at mac.com
Wed Nov 2 07:53:24 PST 2005

Could sure use some suggestions here. I'll try to be brief but to the
point..

was running 10.4.2  (assuming that was the version)
everything was just fine and has been for a long time.

I connected to another Mac on my network.  Using FONTBOOK..  I
enabled a folders worth of fonts.  Played around in font book for
awhile. used text edit briefly, using some of the new fonts I had
enabled.
When I was done I "DELETED" the newly created font library.

I was thinking about installing the new 10.4.3 update, but before I
did that, I went to RESTART my computer.
after restarting, I went to log in.   the desktop picture changes to
what it is supposed to, but NOTHING LOADS.  no dock, no finder etc..
after a minute or so I can see just the SPOTLIGHT icon in the upper
right hand corner of my screen.     If I drag the mouse over it, I
get a spinning beachball.     nothing else loads, and I've waited
around for about 2 hours. Nothing changes. nothing loads. And
dragging the mouse over the spotlight icon still produces a spinning
beachball.

I force restarted..  I can log into other accounts on the computer.
I was able to create a new ADMIN account.   checked/repaired
permissions.   Have installed the new 10.4.3 update.
I still can't log in to my ORIGINAL admin account.   just the
spotlight icon shows up.. and moving the mouse over it displays a
spinning beach ball.

ANY SUGGESTIONS on how I find out what is keeping this account from
logging in ?      I've been thinking maybe if I could kill spotlight
or something ?  If that is what is actually causing the problem.  I
guess this, only because it's the only thing that shows up.. and does
nothing but give me a beach ball.

Kansast