[X4U] Another nail in the low memory latency coffin

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Nov 2 14:49:44 PST 2005

A regular question on the lists that I frequent is whether or not it
is worth seeking out low latency memory. Here's yet another review
that definitively says that for most of us the answer is no:

"Although tighter memory timings and a 1T command rate can certainly
improve the performance of the Athlon 64's memory subsystem, that
improvement doesn't always translate to better application
performance. In fact, with the exception of the Sphinx speech
recognition engine, moving to tighter memory timings or a more
aggressive command rate generally didn't improve performance by more
than a few percentage points, if at all, in our tests. Lower
latencies only improved WorldBench's overall score by a single point,
and performance gains in games were generally limited to lower
resolutions and detail levels.

So how much does the modest performance improvement brought by
tighter memory latencies cost? Close to twice as much."

http://techreport.com/etc/2005q4/mem-latency/index.x?pg=1

As they explain in the article lower latency memory is useful for
over clocking.

Phil
--
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though
she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I