[X4U] New Tiger Install - Password Not Recognized

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Nov 8 15:23:54 PST 2005

On 11/08/05, Rick Gordon <rick at rickgordon.com> wrote:

> I did a fresh Tiger install on a test partition, having previously copied
>(using sudo ditto -rsrcFork) from a 10.3.9 installation, the following
>before installing:
>
> /private/var (so my netinfo database is intact)
> /System/Library/Keychains
> /System/Library/Preferences
> ~/Library/Keychains, and
> ~/Library/Preferences
>
> The content appears to have been copied and permissions have been retained.
>
> On rebooting to the new partition (still 10.4.0), I get the standard
>login screen showing my network name, but when I type in my username and
>password fields, the user/password entry fails (for either my username or
>for root).
>
> What might I need to copy to set my user/password right, without having
>to go back to a fresh install?

IMHO, you're doing it the hard way. Here are two methods that work.
1. Erase the test partition, install Tiger, then use the Migration
Assistant to copy everything from the Panther installation.
2. Erase the test partition, use CarbonCopyCloner to clone the Panther
installation to the erased test partition, and install Tiger using the
update previous OS version.