[X4U] iphoto slowness

John Kiss john.kiss at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 07:49:33 PST 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Kansas Territory wrote:

> O.k. I think this has been discussed before, or I've read somewhere
> else about some ways to speed up iPhoto.
> But I don't remember ever reading any definitive answer.
>
> I'm running a Dual 1.25 G4
> 768 MB DDR SDRAM
>
> MacOSX 10.4.3
> iPhoto version : 5.0.4
>
> I have about 2700 image in my iPhoto library.
>
> Opening AND Closing iPhoto is painfully slow, embarrassing slow if
> you know what I mean.
>
> Once I'm in iPhoto it seems 'o.k.' enough.
>
> A good number of these images were taken with a Nikon D-70  set at
> high quality .jpg format.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to speed things up ?
> other than adding more memory, which I know would probably be a
> good idea on many levels. but anything specific to iPhoto ?

There are some discussions at http://www.macintouch.com/iphoto14.html
about iPhoto's slowness and file bloat. Maybe there's an answer there
for you.

By the way, I also have a dual 1.25 G4 (with 1G RAM, OS 10.4.3,
iPhoto v 5.0.4) with over 3,700 pictures and iPhoto takes 15 seconds
to open the first time and about 8 seconds to close. Subsequent
openings take about 5 seconds. My pictures were all taken with a
Nikon 5700 at high quality with a good number of them run through
photoshop ending up at around 3MB each. My iPhoto Library folder is
over 11G in size. The Library.iPhoto file within it is about 16MB.

John