[X4U] iphoto slowness

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 12 11:42:49 PST 2005

On Nov 12, 2005, at 4:32 pm, Kansas Territory wrote:

> I've found some web sites that discuss this issue, but the answers all
> seem to include exporting your images, running a perl script or
> applescript of some kind to remove this large Maker Note information.
> Then REIMPORTING the images back into iPhoto..    but you lose other
> information about the images..  just doesn't sound like a clean
> solution.

You can edit the EXIF metadata of jpeg images without making any other
changes to them, so this is possible cleanly it just depends upon the
tools you use.

It wouldn't be too difficult to have a script go through every image
file in your iPhoto library removing only specific parts of the EXIF
information, but I have no idea how this would affect Library.iPhoto.
The way I'd be inclined to remove the EXIF data would be to `find`
every image in ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/ which isn't in a "Thumbs"
folder & run the operation, so presumably iPhoto would be unaware of
the change when restarted. Rebuilding the library afterwards (using the
method suggested by Mr Scalise) might solve it, as might using an
AppleScript to call the job from within iPhoto but you'll probably want
to experiment with removing the EXIF data first.

Stroller.