[X4U] Re: Macintosh security (How to protect files and Applications for stolen computers)

Lists lists at tntluoma.com
Mon Nov 14 19:46:47 PST 2005

On Nov 14, 2005, at 4:29 PM, John Richardson wrote:

> 2)This seems like overkill, so some apple store employee suggested
> this. a) Take the files you want protected. Create a disk image and
> encrypt the disk image using Apple's disk utilities. [I suppose
> that you could then use file vault to double encrypt the material]

That is what I use, but instead of the File Vault I use password
protected files inside the encrypted DMG.

The only thing to look out for that when you mount the DMG is that
Keychain will offer to save the password for you, which obviously
would be a silly thing to do.

As far as Applications go, I think the performance hit would be
significant enough to not want to do this, but if you really wanted
to you could put each app in its own DMG and just mount the ones you
need.

TjL