[X4U] Webcam server on OS X? Quciktime Broadcaster?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 19 14:45:32 PST 2005

Can anyone suggest software for OS X to use my iSight as a webcam,
please? Not with iChatAV, but as for more general viewing.

I'd like for the other party - who is on a PC - to use AIM, but they
don't have a camera, and I don't think AIM on the PC allows one-way
video-chats with iChatAV users. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in
the meantime I'll look for other options.

The next most ideal solution would just to have something clickable
that the viewer can use to connect to me.

I see a bunch of stuff on the web that'll periodically upload images to
a web server via ftp, but that'll get a pretty lame frame-rate compared
to iChat - the picture can be shown on a webpage which is refreshed by
a javascript, but that's pretty old hat.

Whilst Googling for this I came across QuickTime Broadcaster
<http://www.apple.com/quicktime/broadcaster/> which would seem to be
ideal, but I can't work out how to broadcast to outside my LAN. Manual
& automatic "unicast" modes seem to require me to know the recipients
IP address, and multicast, although it works perfectly with great image
quality on the LAN, appears not to be routable to the outside world.

Has anyone used QuickTime Broadcaster in this way? I kinda get the
impression that it can unicast to a Quicktime streaming server & then
clients connect to that. Can anyone advise me?

Any other _free_ suggestions for suitable software would be much
appreciated. I'd like to get this up & running, but not enough to
actually spend money on closed-source software.

Stroller.