[X4U] Personal Laser Writer

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Nov 19 20:57:07 PST 2005

Dorothy Hennings said:

>Thanks for the really quick response. It is an NTR with 36-pin
>Centronics-type port, a 25-pin serial port (RS-232) and a LocalTalk
>port (DIN-8, RS-422 compatible). I just copied this stuff from the
>manual. Remember when all  computers etc came with complete manuals?

OS X includes a driver specifically for the Personal LaserWriter NTR:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/printers.html

Your Mac has USB, FireWire and Ethernet ports, but no serial, parallel,
or LocalTalk ports.  What you need to connect your printer to your Mac is
a LocalTalk-to-Ethernet adapter, such as the EtherMac iPrint Adapter LT
from Farallon (now Proxim) or the AsanteTalk EtherTalk to LocalTalk
adapter from Asante.  I have found the Farallon device to be the more
reliable of these two.

Both are out of production, but you can probably find one on eBay.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html