[X4U] Help-need guidance choosing video card for Aperture

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Nov 20 06:55:32 PST 2005

I'm assuming I won't be able to install Aperture on my dual G4. I do have a
first generation dual G5 (8 RAM slots, 3 PCI-X slots, one 8x-AGP slot).

There are cards that meet Apple's specs for a bit over $100, and cards that
cost over $500. I don't plan to edit video, but I would like to work with
the raw images from my Canon 20D in real time.

Currently I have a single 17 inch ADC-connector Apple LCD, and I'll likely
add a second 20 inch DVI LCD. I don't have the room, the need, or the bank
account to consider one of the huge displays.

Any suggestions as to which of the available cards I should purchase? My
PCI-X slots are open, but I assume there might be problems if I leave my
current monitor attached to my current video card (nVidia GeForce FX5200),
so ideally the new card would be able to drive the ADC monitor as well as a
larger DVI monitor.

By the way, the newest G5s come with 4x, 8x, and 16x PCI-Express slots. How
do those differ in bandwidth from the PCI-X slots in my original G5?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson