[X4U] Aperture as sleazy Apple hardware marketing ploy

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Nov 20 20:11:52 PST 2005

On 11/20/05 8:54 AM, "Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

> I take it that when you run the app it lists each reason that you
> can't install the software?  In my case it complains that I can't run
> it on my dual 2Ghz G5 because I'm running 10.3.9 (OK, that's
> understandable).
>
> Zane

You're correct. And, as I've been investigating, I'm learning that perhaps
there IS some justification for Apple's positions. Turns out the data pipe
between the graphics cards and controller in the new G5s (PCI-Express) is
fatter than the pipe in the original G5s (8X-AGP), which in turn was fatter
than the 4X-AGP on the mirrored doors G4s.

What I DON'T know at this point is how important that is for something like
Aperture; i.e., whether a high-end 4x AGP card that is Core Image compliant
in a G4 mirrored doors, or an 8X or PCI-X graphics card in a first
generation G5 dual has the bandwidth to do the real-time transformations
Apple boasts of on its website.

I think we'll all learn quite a bit when we see how well Aperture runs on
the G4 PowerBooks.

Jim Robertson