[X4U] Re: CD stuck in Slot drive

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Nov 21 13:39:47 PST 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Vicki Allwardt wrote:

> I recently had this same problem on my G3 iMac, and received good
> advice here.  Nothing worked, and it now is holding the mini CD and
> a full size CD with double stick tape--we tried everything.
> Neither are "recognized." Not being able to find a reasonably
> priced replacement, I found an external CD RW for $2.99 on ebay
> with a firewire connection and will use that until one can be found
> and replaced internally.  My old G3 has limited value, so didn't
> want to spend a bunch to replace it right now.  The external drive
> works very well, a bit noisy, but at least it works.

Yeah, those mini-CDs were a big no-no for slot loading drives. OTOH,
I'm in the same boat as you, the optical drive in our iMac DV died a
while ago, No replacement to be found, so I opted for an external
Superdrive. Seems like the supply of slot-loading optical drives for
those older iMacs dried up as soon as people started needing them.
I'm still kicking myself for the time a couple years ago when I could
have bought a couple of slot-loading DVD drives for the iMac at $25
each. If I'd only known...

-Mike