[X4U] Battery

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Wed Nov 23 01:29:44 PST 2005

> But, running mail, a couple web browsers, iTunes, iChat, and SETI,
> plus powering that 17" screen, that's about all I expect, too.
> However, it does mean that I need to keep it plugged in most of the time

Sure, SETI will keep your CPU running all the time. Another big factor is
not only the screen size but the brightness. One's setting has a big impact
on battery runtime. If you reduce from medium to the lowest or second-lowest
setting, that should increase runtimes significantly. If you have lots of
apps running that means that you are also more likely to swap things in and
out.

What I would do in your case:
1) Forget about all energy saving modes and live with the fact that with
screen, CPU, Airport, etc. battery will not last longer than an hour.
2) I would still unplug the battery when it is full. Run on battery for
about an hour and then start charging it as you go. It will take loooong to
charge as you keep using your PowerBook while you go. But that's actually
good, because all in all that means that most of the time your battery is
below 80% charge.

Point 1) should give you peace of mind and maximum performance. Point 2)
should increase your battery life, so that one year down the road you're not
stuck with a battery that runs no longer than 3 minutes.

Bjorn

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender. 3167