[X4U] Dual Single Processors Verses Dual Core Single Processor

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Nov 23 05:43:07 PST 2005

On 11/22/05 5:11 PM, "revDAVE" <coolcat at hosting4days.com> wrote:

>  I am curious to compare the two g5 computers
>
> Dual Single Processors 2GHz  ( older model) Verses Dual Core Single
> Processor 2GHz ( new model)
>
> Question: Is there a speed difference between the two models - or do they
> run at about the same speed?

There ARE architecture differences between the two computers other than dual
core vs. separate processors:

1. The new dual core computers have faster memory

2. The new dual core computers use a newer PCI bus (PCI Express, which is
not physically or electronically compatible with PCI-X). There is no longer
an AGP slot. The PCI Express slots are either "4-lane, 8-lane or 16-lane".
Apparently they all have the same physical connector, but the speed with
which things happen will depend on which slot you put a card in and the
intrinsic capabilities of the card.

My guess is that the eagerness with which people look forward to the
performance of Apple's "Aperture" application will tell us a bit about what
this means in the real world shortly after Aperture becomes available.

I hope people will correct or amplify what I've said incorrectly or
incompletely.

Jim Robertson