[X4U] Repair Permissions

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 24 00:46:56 PST 2005

On 11/23/05, Paul Moortgat <paul.moortgat at pandora.be> wrote:

> Can I trash these files you mention bellow?
>
> On 21 Nov 2005, at 05:17, John Baltutis wrote:
>> That's because it's in one of these (the thing that installed them):
>> MacOSX10.4.Universal.pkg, MacOSXUpdate10.4.1.pkg,
>> MacOSXUpdate10.4.2.pkg,
>> or MacOSXUpdate10.4.3.pkg

It's your computer, you can do anything you want to do with it. Be advised,
however, that if you delete a receipt package, you won't be able to repair
the permissions on any installed file associated with that update. Can you
suppress DU from reporting that it's using special permissions? Sure. See
<http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=741255> for details.
Are those messages so disconcerting when you repair permissions?

The real question is why do you want to delete them? They're small (1-3 MB)
packages, essentially the Archive.bom, which tells anyone who wants to
know, where the installer put what. Open one up, launch the Terminal app,
type in this:

lsbom

followed by a space, then drag the Archive.bom file from its window into
the Terminal window (which enters the files full path), click on the enter
key, and read what that update installed where.