[X4U] **RANT** video stuff on the web

Neil Lists at mac.com
Thu Nov 24 12:10:49 PST 2005

on 11/23/05 11:48 AM, Neil wrote:

> BTW, have you tried using VLC to convert the videos to QT?  Bruce did that
> with files from his digital camcorder.  I haven't been able to get it to
> work perfectly for myself but you can try what he did:
>
> "I noticed an "advanced output" option in VLC (the FREE video
> player).
>
> Using the options to set the output to Quicktime resulted in video playable
> in QT but no sound. Then I looked below at the "Transcode options" and set
> Video to MP4V and audio to MP4A.
>
> This resulted in a Quicktime playable .mov file. You have the option of
> either playing the movie as it is converted or just converting without
> playing."

I've just spent a few hours studying this problem at the VLC forum and have
found out that VLC has no trouble converting Windows Media files to QT as
long as both the audio and video use the MPEG4 codec.  In my case, the files
use the G.726 codec for audio, so I only get silent videos in QT.  That's a
bug in VLC that is not being addressed in the current beta.