[X4U] New toy!

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Fri Nov 25 11:37:50 PST 2005

> Have you looked into Stuffit? I think you can create encrypted zip
> files, or self-extracting files that could be unzipped or extracted
> on a PC.

Stuffit will encrypt for me!  Took jumping through a few hoops, but I got it
going.

What surprised me no end was...while thinking about Stuffit and zip
archives, I remembered both Mac and Windows use "zip", and it has an -e
switch to encrypt with a password.
But...look here:

[charles at larry:~/Documents]$ zip -e resumes.zip resume.doc
zip error: Invalid command arguments (encryption not supported)
[charles at larry:~/Documents]$ zip resumes.zip resume.doc
  adding: resume.doc (deflated 83%)
[charles at larry:~/Documents]$

"encryption not supported"!?!?
>From 'man zip':

-e     Encrypt the contents of the zip archive using a  password  which
 is  entered  on  the terminal in response to a prompt (this will
 not be echoed; if standard error is not a  tty,  zip  will  exit
 with  an  error).   The  password prompt is repeated to save the
 user from typing errors.

--
Thanks,
Charles