[X4U] SATA-300

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri Nov 25 11:45:28 PST 2005

On 11/25/05 8:01 AM, "bombino episimos" <1belami at gmail.com> wrote:

> I must have misunderstood something here.  The new boxes use SATA.  What is
> SATA-300 and how is it different?

SATA moves data at 150 MBytes/sec. SATA-300, which was defined in 2004,
moves it at double the rate. SATA-300 drives and connectors are backwards
compatible with the original SATA spec, so you can buy a double rate drive
and assume it will work if your next box supports it. Supposedly in 2007
we'll see SATA-600. The SATA-300 apparently requires a drive controller
chipset from NVIDIA. I have no idea whether that's available to Apple or
not, hence my original question.

SATA is also known as SATA-II, but the people who made up the spec say
that's a misnomer.

By the way, you can read all about it in the Wikipedia widget.

Jim Robertson