[X4U] First-hand recommendations for data recovery?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Nov 26 11:42:28 PST 2005

Hello, all --

Anyone have any first-hand experience with data recovery services? NOT
software -- I am looking for the people who will take your drive apart and
attempt to recover data.

The head crashed on my PowerBook (17" rev A Aluminum that is still under
AppleCare, but, I know that Apple does not offer data recovery) while I was
doing my backup this morning. Because of a wetware error (a truly "D'oh!"
moment), my PowerBook was not connected to the network for scheduled
backups, and so my last backup is a manual one from May. Needless to say, a
lot has happened in the last six months, and I'd just as soon have record of
it, as not.

Can anyone recommend a recovery service that they or their employer uses?
Like DriveSavers, etc.? I need to attempt to get the data before turning the
Gigabook over to AppleCare, and looking at webpages and ads is a crap shoot,
so am hoping for first-hand personal recommendation from listmates.

Many thanks,
Linda