[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Aron Spencer aron at r8ix.com
Sun Nov 27 11:13:05 PST 2005

    The problem here is that we all agree (more or less) on the
definition of % (i.e. 15%=0.15), but there seems to be disagreement
on the "+". My take is that if you write out the equation (as the OP
did), 28.05+15%=X, then the correct answer is that X=28.2, since the
"+" separates the original number and the %. We don't, in standard
mathematical notation, have an operator that says "increase by X%";
many calculators have therefor adopted the convention of Y+n%=Y*(1+n/
100). However, this is strictly a calculator convention, and does not
strictly correspond to the written equation form of the calculation,
as noted above. In Excel, for instance, where you actually type the
equation, it gives 28.20 as the (correct) answer, yet on the
calculator on my Palm, it gives 30.3.
    I think that a calculator should probably work the latter way,
for convenience, in spite of the fact that it does not follow the
written equation form. However, this causes problems when you use a
slightly more complex formula. For example, 28.05+15%*1 produces 30.3
using this convention, when a strict adhesion to mathematical rules
says that the "*" takes precedence over the "+", and therefore the
15% should be of the 1, not the 28.05. The answer in this case is
definitively 28.2, yet the calculator gets it wrong.
    Who knew a "+" could be so much trouble?

Aron S. Spencer, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Newark, NJ 07102