[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Nov 28 05:07:25 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 05:14:29AM CST, Kuestner, Bjoern <Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com> wrote:
: net kat <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:
: >
: > No. 15% is *not* always 0.15.
: > However, 15% IS always 15/100 x n, where n is any value between
: > -infinity and +infinity.
:
: Interesting, but no.

What is incorrect about this way of thinking?  Makes sense to me.

: The common language problem is usually phrased as "P is p% of G".
:
: So you can use the %-sign all by itself. It is perfectly
: correct to say "I found 1% USD" if you picked up a penny. Or
: to say "1 + 1 = 200%". Of course that's pretty silly. But it
: isn't wrong.

"1% USD" == 1% of n, where n = "1 USD".  You see, n must always
be known or else the statement makes no sense.

"1 + 1 = 200%" makes no sense at all.  "200%" of what?  If your
math instructors have taught you that this is mathematically and
logically a correct and complete statement, your instructors need
to be shot for being mormons.

: But it is wrong to say that "15% is *not* always 0.15".

I hate double-negatives.  Are you saying that it is always
correct to say that "15% is always 0.15" ?

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/