[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Mon Nov 28 10:54:39 PST 2005

On 11/28/05 12:33 PM, T.L. Miller wrote:

> On 11/28/05, at 12:17 PM, net kat netkat at comcast.net said:
>
>> Again, we're distinguishing between a mathmatical procedure and a
>> Calculator behavior.
>
> Please get used to the idea that there is no standard for how the % key
> works.
>
> Calculator behavior is determined by the software developer or the
> calculator maker!! I have two Casio calculators that give different
> answers when the % key is used.

Precisely. It's by far the better procedure to ask the calculator precisely
what you want, and you'll get the same answer every time, that way.

In this case, 28 * 1.15 =  would be the equation to give the desired answer.

The EQ 28 + 15% is really: 28 + (.15 * 28) =, where following math protocol,
the operations within parenthesis are calculated first. Depending on the
programming of your calculator, it may perform operations sequentially
rather than "correctly".

Again, telling the calculator exactly what you want: 28 * 1.15 =, will save
you grief and curiosity as to what order the calculations were performed.

peace,
Linda