[X4U] Duplicate files

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Tue Nov 29 07:32:29 PST 2005

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:29:40PM CST, Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net>
> wrote:
> : Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> wrote:
> : >
> : > The files have the exact same names unless iPhoto renames without telling
> : > me. But iPhoto has put them into different folders. I wouldn't have
> imported
> : > so many photos but I thought iPhoto was supposed to check and see if you
> : > were importing the same photo more than once.
> :
> : I would post to the [X-Unix] list on this server, and ask for help there.
> : Someone can surely help you with a shell script that will do exactly what
> : you need.
> : I played with it a bit, and I'm sure it can be done, though I didn't quite
> : get there in the limited time I've played with it.  :-)
> :
> : You need something akin to:
> : $ find ~/Pictures -name '*.jpg' (but only output the part of the filename
> : after the last '/', i.e. holiday.jpg); then write that to a file, sort the
> : file, uniq -d the file for duplicate lines.  There's your list of dups, then
> : you can act on that to backup the files.
>
> This one-liner pretty much does it:

Very nice, Eugene!
The 'basename' argument is what makes it work!
-print0 and -0 allow whitespace in the file names.

[charles at larry:~]$ find ~/Pictures -name '*.jpg' -print0 | xargs -0 basename
| sort | uniq -d
823167-R1-17-8.jpg
823167-R1-20-5.jpg
823167-R1-21-4.jpg
[charles at larry:~]$

I have 3 dups on my system.  Now all I have to do is trash 'em.  :-)