[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue Nov 29 10:27:43 PST 2005

Boss:  I'm sorry but business has been bad this month. I'm going to
cut your salary by 50%.

Employee:  Gee, that will be tough at Christmas time.

Boss: I'm going to make it all up with a 50% increase in January.

*****
So I buy it for $5 and I sell it for $10. Surely it's OK to advertise
a 50% markup. 50% of $10 is what I paid for it, isn't it?

*****
This survey has a 3% probability of error. SQRT(1000)/1000 = 3%
ignoring everything about selecting the sample.

*****
The moral is that it's not only calculators that abuse the English
grammar of "%".

--
--> If you are presented a number as a percentage, and you do not
clearly understand the numerator and the denominator involved, you