[X4U] Tiger's Calculator.app no longer does percentages?

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Tue Nov 29 12:33:33 PST 2005

Richard Gilmore wrote:

> On 29/11/05 1:27 PM, "Doug McNutt" <douglist at macnauchtan.com> wrote:
>

>>So I buy it for $5 and I sell it for $10. Surely it's OK to advertise
>>a 50% markup. 50% of $10 is what I paid for it, isn't it?

> This is exactly how retail markups are calculated. No joke. A 40% markup is
> actually calculated by multiplying by 1.67

S'cuse me? Multiplying WHAT by 1.67?
1.67 times anything is a 67% greater result than the starting number.
How can it be only 40% greater?
I guess you have to define "markup." Marked up from *which* price,
wholesale price, sale price, or retail price?

> Retail business markup percentages are calculated differently from "regular"
> percentages.

I can see that!

> Just my 2 cents

That equals 3.34¢ if marked up properly, right?

> Richard

keith whaley