[X4U] RAM lessons even the stubborn can learn

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Wed Nov 30 11:20:53 PST 2005

At 6:32 PM +0000 11/28/05, Stroller wrote:
>On Nov 28, 2005, at 6:00 pm, Richard Gilmore wrote:
>>On 27/11/05 1:26 AM, "wjsjlauffen at t-online.de" <wjsjlauffen at t-online.de>
>>wrote:

>>>that is supposed to be a characteristic of all Unix flavors.
>>
>>Is this true? I've never had a RAM problem and all I use is no name type RAM
>>including my Linux box.
>
>I would say it's more a characteristic of proprietary Unices.
>
>My 1990s SGI workstations were very expensive machines when new and
>both have very specific RAM requirements. Linux on the other hand is
>much more widely deployed on cheaper commodity hardware.

It's more a characteristic of the HW.  For example...

Can use standard RAM:
DEC AlphaStation 200 4/233
DEC PWS 433au
SGI Indigo 2
Sun Ultra 10

Need special RAM:
DEC AlphaStation 500/333
SGI O2
Sun Ultra 60

I think an SGI Octane can use the same RAM that works in a Sun Ultra
10, but I don't have an Octane to make sure I'm right.

In the case of the DEC PWS Series, you can actually run RAM that is
quite a bit out of Spec, though it gets *seriously* out of spec, the
system starts crashing :^)

Of course as David pointed out on Sunday, such boxes use ECC RAM,
rather than the non-ECC RAM modern Mac's use.  High-end x86 systems
(especially servers) also use ECC RAM.  The last Mac I had that would
use ECC RAM was my PowerMac 8500, my G4/450 AGP system most
definitely didn't like ECC RAM, *but* it wasn't that picky about the
RAM that I could put in it.

There is something to be said for using fairly standard non-ECC RAM,
it tends to be a lot cheaper.  A 2GB kit for my G5 2x2 still costs
less than a 256MB kit for my AlphaStation 500/333 (I bought the PWS
for less than the RAM would have cost me a few years ago).

	Zane