[X4U] Automatic reconnect to WLAN broken

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Tue Oct 4 10:09:05 PDT 2005

I have upgraded to a new iBook.

In the process the automatic reconnect to my WLAN after  restart/wake
from sleep  was lost.

I have to select the WLAN every single time from the menu again after
any of the above actions.

I have no more idea where to set the preferences so that the login
happens automatically.

- I don't have to enter passwords, so it's not a problem that manual
input is required.

- I have also checked the network prefs to "connect by default to a
special network: <name of my WLAN>".

- I have set options to "remember all networks with which this
computer was connected".

What is striking: I can now find the "Airport-password" for the
network in my keychain. On the old Mac that is not the case. I have
no idea where it was stored, because the WLAN access settings have
remained the same. I suspect that this is the key to the problem,
that previously the access was stored somehow system-wide and is now
per user.

The old iBook was migrated from 10.1->.2->.3->.4. So maybe it has
inherited an "old way of doing things" whereas the new iBook which
has a brand new (and less appreciated way) for this?

Any other ideas where to look?

Thanks,

Björn