[X4U] Applecare and hard drives

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Wed Oct 5 01:32:23 PDT 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 11:59 PM, Jon Warms wrote:

> Without any supporting data other than my own experiences,
> I hypothesize that within the last two years of an Applecare
> contract, something like half the laptop and mini drives will fail.
> If this is true,  ...

Maybe you're just trying to make a point, but this is so far from
reality that it begs for a response. HDs commonly have a MTBF of
500,000 to a 1,000,000 hours. Since most people don't know what Mean
Time Between Failure really means I'll quote from a Samsung page,
"SAMSUNG's MTBF for HDDs is 500,000 hours. That means that if you use
your PC for 9 hours every day, your HDD should operate for 152
years." For details see <http://www.samsung.com/Products/
HardDiskDrive/whitepapers/WhitePaper_05.htm>.

In the 11 years that I managed 100's of machines that ran 24 hours a
day I only had 2 hard drives fail. The vast majority of people will
never experience a hard drive failure during their life.

Phil