[X4U] Trying to Backup my Hard Drive

lj Palmer darwin at ljsworld.com
Wed Oct 5 06:17:02 PDT 2005

The Following was taken from the SuperDuper! forum.
..lj

Due to a bug in OS X 10.3.9's image conversion, backups "directly" to
DMGs is failing at the end of the process with the message:

hdiutil: convert failed - image/device is too large

We've reported this new problem in "hdiutil" (part of OS X) to Apple,
and hope they'll be fixing it shortly -- it's new to 10.3.9.

In the meantime, we'd suggest using a "Sparse Image" as explained below.

Our apologies for the difficulty: alas, in this situation, we're at
the mercy of Apple's own tools.
__________
Here's how! (Note: I'm assuming that you're using Panther in the
following instructions... the steps might be slightly different under
Jaguar.)

This first set of steps need only be done one time, when you
initially create the image:

1. Open Disk Utility (found in /Applications/Utilities).
2. Without selecting any volume/drive on the left side, click the New
Image toolbar button.
3. Give the image an appropriate name (like Weekly Backup), and store
it on a drive other than the one you're trying to back up.
4. In the Size pop-up, choose Custom.
5. In the sheet that appears, enter the size of the drive you're
trying to back up. Note that the pop-up does not have a selection for
GB: you need to enter "40000" MB for 40GB. Click OK when you've got
the right size entered.
6. Decide whether or not you want the image encrypted, and choose the
proper value in the Encryption pop-up.
7. In the Format pop-up, choose sparse disk image.
8. Click Create.

Disk Utility will create a sparse disk image that can hold up to the
amount you specified in step 5. The image itself will only be as
large as is necessary at any given time, however. When the image is
created, Disk Utility will automatically mount it.