[X4U] Power adapter for Titanium PowerBook

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Oct 6 07:23:30 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05 4:21 AM, Michel Treisman wrote:

> Here is the serial number:   V73180VGMVZ    -  someone with access to the
> apple.com database could check that out.

Ran the number past a Genius, who looked in the apple.com database:

> Purchased in the United States, that's a PowerBook G4 17"/1GHz/512MB/
> 60GB/SD/AP/BT
>
> It's Aluminum.
>
> It was purchased on July 19, 2003.  AppleCare was not purchased, or
> never attached to the machine.
>
> It is OOW (Out of Warranty).
>
> The official name (internal) of this machine is "PowerBook 17"; they
> were announced in January of 2003.
>
> It is, as it always was, aluminum.

Your dooyoo site also claims the 17" were 867mhz, which isn't accurate. The
Genius says:

> It's not an 867 MHz PowerBook.
>
> We never made a 17" TiBook. The machine on that SN has FW 800.
> TiBooks never did.

<http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/17al/> Is the website
on Apple.com for 17" PBs, and the "al" at the end of the URL stands for
Aluminum. (Also has the same photo that your dooyoo site uses, FWIW -- the
dooyoo is picturing an aluminum PowerBook on their site.)

Regarding your power supply, do not get the 40-watt one (as Coj previously
posted you shouldn't). Genius says:

> He needs either our 65 watt portable power adapter or a third party, like the
> iGo (which I have) that will adapt any of our PowerBooks since the Ti books.
> He can get away with lower wattage one; it won't charge correctly, but it will
> run from the adapter.

Searching Google for the model number you gave offers this:
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000087BHX/104-6673340-428071
5?v=glance> which says it's aluminum.

Last of all, I looked at the box mine came in: M8793LL/A. Mine is Aluminum,
which I can also see clearly when I sit it next to my husband's Titanium.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the lower-wattage adapter.

-Linda