[X4U] Re: X4U Incremental Backup Suggestions

Jim Elmore jelmore at elmoredesign.com
Tue Oct 18 18:36:17 PDT 2005

Hate to barge in on this thread, but the thought of doing incremental
backups on DVDs sounds awful. In the early days, I tried backing up
to CDs and it was awful, trying to keep track of about 20 disks and
have to mind the machine during the process because the discks don't
change themselves. Maybe DVDs wold be different, but they sure would
be slow.

The only software I've found that really works well for incremental
backups is Retrospect by Dantz. And you can get if free with some
external hard drives. Maybe you don't have the funds, but for $200
you can get an external 250 GB Firewire hard drive that comes with a
version of Retrospect. See <http://www.pcmag.com/
article2/0,1759,1749336,00.asp> as an example.

If you're really interested in backups, I promise you'll find this
money well spent.