[X4U] Apple Aperture target Audience?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Oct 19 15:15:38 PDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:23 pm, Zane H. Healy wrote:

>> I thought it was overly apparent, even blatant, as the page states
>> right at
>> the top: "Designed for Professional Photographers"
>
> OK, let me put it this way, why would I want "Aperture" instead of
> "Adobe Photoshop CS2"?

I don't know why _you_ might want Aperture instead of Photoshop, but
many may choose it for its library management - the ability to import
directly from the camera, browse thumbnail libraries & to store
original images alongside the edited work.

Personally, I find Photoshop's toolbars obscure - I wanted to change
the colour temperature of a photo the other day and it took me several
times as long to do so in Photoshop as it did in iPhoto, however I
persevered because I wanted the ability of Photoshop / ImageReady to
"export to the web" at a given resolution with 4 quality previews
showing filesize.

There's no way to say whether Aperture's editing facilities will be as
advanced as Photoshop's, but maybe they don't need to be. It seems to
me that Photoshop is not aimed just at professional photographers, but
instead does everything for everybody - Aperture's is a narrower target
audience, I think. Photoshop offers facilities to use colour fills &
paint coloured squares & ellipses, but many people don't need that.

If you watch the "profiles" video on the Aperture pages Heinz
Kluetmeier says why he'll choose Aperture. It seems to me that many
wedding photographers will enjoy the facilities to export to Apple's
glossy hard-copy photoalbums, and others will like being able to print
contact sheets (which I don't believe Photoshop handles).

Stroller.