[X4U] Re: "Blank" email example

David Ledger dledger at ivdcs.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 22:39:38 PDT 2005

>From: Tut <tut at mac.com>
>
>I can think of at least 2 reasons this could happen:
>1. Corrupted preferenses
>2. Problems when redawing the page, which would explaine why the column
>headers are also missing
>What happens is you scroll down a page and then back up again, if possible?
>If nothing changes maybe trashing the preferenses could solve the problem.
>A picture might make it easier to figure out.

>Linda wrote:
>>  When I say "blank", I mean blank. No sender name listed in the "From"
>>  column; <no subject> in the subject column. In the Preview pane, there's no
>>  "from" and no "to" -- even the words "from" and "to" don't show up. In the
>>  body of the email, there is no text at all, not even white on white.

When she says "blank" she means "blank".
I've looked at them as raw text in my spamfilter and they only
contain the minimum that lets the envelope survive as an email. There
is no content, no content "from", no "to", no non-vital headers as
all. They have only those headers that are required for the first
smtp server to accept them and those added en-route. Nothing else at
all.

That's why I thought they were the product of some bug, probably in
some spam engine. Why send more than one if its for mailing list
verification. Unless it's a 'check your list' product available to
many.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk