[X4U] iPhoto Problem

Chris Malanga chris at malanga.net
Thu Oct 20 05:02:11 PDT 2005

Hello... a friend of mine is having trouble with iPhoto, both the old version and iLife 5 version.  His message is below... do you have any suggestions for him?

 Thanks!

 Chris

 HIS MESSAGE:

 Hey, how's it going?  I have Tiger up and running.  I like it so
 far.  However, I am having a problem with iPhoto.  I know you told me
 to make a backup before I installed tiger.  Well, I was going to back
 up my photos, but when I went into iPhoto it said, "loading photos"
 with a spinning cursor for about half an hour.  I never got any of my
 pictures to show up at all.  Well, I thought I would just try to
 install the new system and the new version of iPhoto (we bought iLife
 5 at the same time as tiger).  I installed tiger on my new hard drive
 as a clean install.  I ran software update, then installed iLife.
 When i launched iPhoto it said it had to update my photo library.  It
 went all through that and then I got the same "loading photos"
 message again.  I let it sit for another half hour with no luck.  I
 started thinking there was something wrong with my panther disk.  I
 ran disk utility and verified the disk.    The first partition (with
 os9 on it) checked out fine, but then I got a message that the other
 partition (with panther) failed because it couldn't be unmounted.  I
 tried repairing permissions, and it fixed a few things, but I could
 never get the disk verified.  If I go into the pictures folder on the
 panther volume the pictures are there, but i can't get them to show
 up in iPhoto.  I would even be happy if i could create a whole new
 library in iPhoto, but all I get is the wait cursor.  Do you have any
 suggestions?  I have all my pictures on my ipod if I need to restore
 them, but I was hoping I could fix the library if it was corrupt.
 Let me know if there is any hope for me.