[X4U] Secure AFP: Possible with Tiger Client?

pwblackb at uc.cl pwblackb at uc.cl
Thu Oct 20 06:29:58 PDT 2005

Hi,

Second question:

I had a local computer's volume mounted via AFP (from choosing
Connect to Server) on the desktop. I changed networks (and physical
location) and when I re-connected, the volume was still mounted.
Intrigued, I opened it and browsed a few folders. I had forgotten
that AFP works over IP.

Is the connection encrypted in any way?

Upon exploring the Options for connecting to a remote server listed
in the Network item in a Finder window, I found the option "Connect
using SSH". I enabled this but was told that the server does not
allow secure connections using SSH. In fact the server has port 22
open and sshd running, so I wonder if perhaps AFP over SSH is only a
Tiger Server Edition thing, since it's only on Apple's 10.4 Server
specs page. Is tunneling AFP over SSH trivial to set up? I managed to
set up an SSH tunnel for checking my mail yesterday, so I might give
this a try.

I did notice, however, that the Options section says "Connecting to
<remote server> using DHX2". Is this an encryption protocol?

It probably is, sending passwords in the clear is so 90s ;-) but I'd
just like to check,

Thanks.

Paul

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: