[X4U] dual layer DVR for G5

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Fri Oct 21 11:16:31 PDT 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Linda wrote:

> On 10/21/05 11:41 AM, Philip J Robar wrote:
>
>> Dual layer burning is a pretty common ffeature these days, but the
>> media remains prohibitively expensive for most of us. The least
>> expensive I could find in a quick web search was $3.00 per disc.
>
> LOL, to me that seems cheap. When I installed the DVR-109 last spring,
> the
> cheapest DL media I could find was $20 a pop.
>
> I remember when *CDs* were a couple bucks apiece; I remember when DVDs
> finally fell below $3 each, too. :)
>
> The price will come down.

When compared to the cost of tape backup systems and similar, the media
charge is OK. Not dirt cheap but reasonable.

In my case, I have large projects >4GB that represent many 100's of
hours of work. $3.00 isn't too much to pay for stable storage.

Still, I understand Philip's point. If you are recording only a small
percentage of the capacity then another media is probably more cost
effective.

  - Mark