[X4U] Re: YIPPEE! - Quad 2.5 GHz

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sat Oct 22 13:17:58 PDT 2005

This is very expensive RAM. even a 2 GB non-dual channel stick for
the new iMac cost $400 each street. So we are at a point where RAM
expansion is back on the expensive level after enjoying much less
expensive RAM lately. This make migration from a dual processor G5
more expensive than it would appear at first blush. More like $4,100
rather than $3300 to ad 4 GB of ram which I would consider a minimum
for video work. Apple's charge for 4 GB INSTEAD of the 512 regular is
an additional $700 but only by selling you four 1GB sticks @ $175
each and not two 2 GB sticks @ $350. Apple only sells 2 GB sticks if
you fill it up with eight 2 GB sticks for $9500 or about $600 per GB.
So the cost of expansion for maximum performance on this beast is
HUGE. @ $400 each maxing it out to 16 GB would be $6,400 even from
the lowest price on the internet. Business which can afford this will
benefit a lot from having so much ram inside. 16 GB is more than an
hour of DV or HDV footage.

512 MB is small if you are doing any kind of complex multimedia work.
Way too small. So is 1.5 GB. I have 3 GB in a dual 2.5 and it is
definitely NOT ENOUGH. So the RAM budget for this quad is non-
trivial. Never-the-less I am inclined to take the leap from a dual
2.5 and a dual 2 to one quad.
--
Taylor Barcroft http://www.blogger.com/profile/11159903
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Podcaster, Futurecaster