[X4U] Eudora upgrades (was Re: X4U Digest, Vol 14, Issue 63

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 25 05:26:52 PDT 2005

>> Alas no.  My version of Eudora is 6.2.3 sponsored with
>> advertising. The upgrade is a paid for upgrade as there is no
>> advertising.   I guess that even software developers have to eat!
>>

> Ah, I guess they discovered that no one/not enough used the "Value
> Added" features for paid only.

             What people don't realize, however, is that it changes
the relationship between the user and developer.  It also changes the
motivation of the developer.

             Instead of the user being the client, the advertiser is
the client.  The user is just the exploitee.  Instead of developers
working to please the users, they work to please the advertisers.
Instead of striving to develop an excellent product, they strive to
maximize the advertising income.

             Usually ends up being an unsatisfying relationship all
the way around.

                                                 Peter