[X4U] Eudora upgrades (was Re: X4U Digest, Vol 14, Issue 63

Peter Saint James peterstj at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 06:31:09 PDT 2005

On 25 Oct 2005, at 10:22 AM, Ted Burton wrote:

> I am not sure how that principle (which assuredly can affect a TV
> network), would apply to an e-mail client. An e-mail client is
> content-free. The only way an e-mail app coder can please the
> advertiser is by increasing the number of persons using the app.
> There's nothing Eudora can do to offend the advertiser other than
> crash or fail to penetrate market. Possibly I overlooked some other
> point of pleasure/pain for the advertiser, and if so enlighten me.

         The point is not whether the advertiser is offended.  The
point is how are the resources, energy, and attention of the company
allocated and directed.   Instead of hiring programers and
developers, they hire ad sales people.  Instead of studying how the
software works and what the users are doing, they study advertisers.
Instead of talking about how to make a better app, their talking
about how to get more ads.  Instead of designing the app to work
better, they design it show ads better.  Instead of the CEO dreaming
about software, they dream about ad dollars.

         Who pays the bills is important.

                                                 Peter