[X4U] Best System Version for Old iMac

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Wed Oct 26 20:53:30 PDT 2005

A friend with an old 400/128 G3 slot-loading iMac (Bondi, I think -- second- or third-generation) has been running OS 9.1. She is a light user, basically email, web, Word, and a bridge game she'd probably have to run in Classic if she upgraded. She just purchased a printer (HP 8500) that has no Classic driver, and is trying to decide whether to return the printer or update her system and software.

With a pretty basic OS X installation, what kind of performance might she expect on that computer (compared to running native in OS9), and which OS level would offer the best performance? I'm sure she'd do well to have a more modern browser to work with, but outside of that, she'd probably opt for not having to learn new tricks.

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING