[X4U] Best System Version for Old iMac

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Thu Oct 27 00:07:37 PDT 2005

On Oct 26, 2005, at 8:53 PM, Rick Gordon wrote:

> A friend with an old 400/128 G3 slot-loading iMac ...
>
> With a pretty basic OS X installation, what kind of performance
> might she expect on that computer (compared to running native in
> OS9), and which OS level would offer the best performance? I'm sure
> she'd do well to have a more modern browser to work with, but
> outside of that, she'd probably opt for not having to learn new
> tricks.

OS X has gotten faster, more feature full, and less buggy with every
release. It doesn't make sense to get anything less than the latest
release unless you really need to save a few 10s of dollars.

You can put in up to 1 GB of ram (2 x 512 MB) in a slot loading iMac.
(Unofficially, Apple says 512 MB (2 x 256 MB), probably because 512
MB DIMMS weren't available for testing when these Macs were made.) If
she's currently got 2 x 64 MB then toss one and get at least a 256 MB
($21 including shipping at www.dealram.com). The machine will then be
useable for a light load. If she's got a single 128 MB then she may
be good to go with just an additional 256 MB. Best thought would be
to get 512 MB, either 2 x 256 MB ($42) at dealram or one 512 MB
($60). (512 MB PC100/133 DIMM prices seem to have gone up over the
last few weeks.)

Phil
--
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or
that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only