[X4U] iChat AV...buddies won't display

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Thu Oct 27 20:18:28 PDT 2005

I have a very strange problem that has just cropped up with iChat AV
3.0.1.

I have been a longtime AOL user, and have used my Buddy List for AOL
instant messaging in iChat AV.  Everything was fine until about 2
weeks ago, when I noticed that, in iChat AV, none of my buddies were
showing up--but only in once of my account/screen names.  However, if
I signed into AOL, the buddies would show up in that buddy list.

What's really weird is:  if I have BOTH AOL and iChat AV running,
then my buddies will show up in iChat AV.  If I then quit out of AOL,
my buddies still show up in iChat AV...until I sign off or quit, and
then sign on or launch iChat AV...then the buddies no longer appear.
If I then launch AOL and sign on again (this is simultaneously), then
all of my buddies magically appear again on the iChat AV side.

I have a couple of other accounts with well-populated buddy lists,
and online buddies in those screen names show up without any problem.

To see if this was a problem with my computer, I signed on with my
laptop, and get the same problem:  no buddies listed as being
"online" in iChat AV, unless I also sign on with AOL at the same
time, but ONLY with that particular screen name/account.

Any thoughts?